Are your cosmetics causing you harm?
Many cosmetic companies including some of the most prestigious brands all contain ingredients that may cause you harm and even potentially cause cancer. To minimalise your exposure to these potentially dangerous ingredients make sure you read the labels and ensure you do not use any product that may contain any of the ingredients listed below:
(1)Confirmed Human Cancer Causing Agents
- Phenylenediamines (Coal tar ingredients)
- Mineral Oil (Paraffin Oil)
- Petrolatum (soft paraffins)
- FD&C No 1, No 5 and No 6 artificial colors
- Fragrances that contain benzene, aldehydes or toluene
(2)Hidden Cancer Causing Agents – These ingredients can either (a) form cancerous nitrosamines (b) be contaminated with carcinogenic impurities such as dioxin or nitrosamines or (c) release cancerous formaldehyde.
- Category A – Cocamide DEA, Stearamide DEA, Lauramide DEA, diethanolamine, triethanolamine, Padimate-O.
- Category B – Polyethylene glycols (PEGs), polysorbates 60 and 80
- Category C – formaldehyde, imidazolidinyl urea, diazolidinyl urea, quaternium-15.
(3)Suspected Cancer Causing Agents
- polyvinylpyrrolidone, fluoride, oxybenzone, benzophenone-3, parabens
(4)Other common problems
- Propylene glycol – produces allergic reactions, hormone disrupter
- Aspartame – artificial sweetener found to be a potent neurotoxin.
- Sodium Benzoate – preservative that causes allergies and asthma.
- Parabens – preservatives with estrogenic activity, hormone disrupters
- Dimethicone – a silicon that is harmful to eyes, skin, and possibly cause lung,throat and endocrine cancer.
- Phthalates – solvents that are hormone disrupters
- Waxes/Heavy Oils – clog pores or make the skin feel oily which can cause blemishes
- Sodium Lauryl Sulphate – estrogenic activity, irritant to mucosal membranes
All cosmetic creams produced by our laboratory are formulated so that they do not contain any of the ingredients listed above thus ensuring their safety. The quality of all ingredients used in our creams are pharmaceutical grade thus ensuring only the purist ingredients are incorporated into our creams. The ingredients included in our standard cream base are: cetyl alcohol, stearyl alcohol (both fatty alcohols made from natural oils), water, glycerine, macadamia oil, stearic acid (fatty acid in vegetable oil), benzyl alcohol (preservative).